Pepper fruit, which is botanically known as Dennettia Tripetala belongs to the Annonceae family. It is a pungent, peppery, spicy and medicinal plant that is characterised by greenish appearance when unripe but tends to be reddish or pinkish in color when ripe.
Peppee fruit thrives mainly in the Savannah and rainforest zones while the fruit usually ripens between April and May. It is tropical plant that is mostly dominant in the West African Region especially in Nigeria, Ivory Coastd Cameroon.
In the South Eastern part of Nigeria, pepper fruit otherwise known as ‘Mmimi’ is used for welcoming visitors and used in occasions such as traditional weddings.
Pepper fruit has 3 green broad sepals and fleshy petals that are yellow in color. The leaves are oblong in shape and can also be dried and stored for a long period of time without any microbial attack.
10 BENEFITS OF PEPPER FRUIT
- TREATMENT OF GASTRO INTESTINAL DISEASES: The leaves, fruits and roots of pepper fruit can be used for producing herbal medicines for treating gastro intestinal diseases such as stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting and worm infestation.
- ANTI VIRAL PROPERTIES: Pepper fruit is effective for fighting against viruses such as cold, cough and fever. Cold is a viral infections disease of the upper respiratory Tracy and it is characterised by watery eyes, sneezing, sore throat, coughing and nasal congestion.
- MINIMIZES CANCER RISK: Dennettia Tripetala is an excellent source of flavonoids, which have been proven effective for reducing cancer attacks.
- ANTI NOCICEPTIVE EFFECTS: Pepper fruit has anti nonciceptive effects as it can be used for reducing sensitivity to painful stimuli.
- ANTI ULCER PROPERTIES: The ethanol extract of pepper fruit seed is potent and has a dose- dependent anti ulcer effect against aspirin-induced ulcer.
- INSECTIDAL PUROPSES: Study shows that Pepper Fruit can be used for producing insecticides. The plant products are effective against pests, insecticides, maize weevils,e.t.c
- HELPS TO TREAT CONVULSION: Pepper fruit oil extract contains a compound called 1- nitro -2- phenyl ethane which has an anti convulsant and hypnotic effect which can treat infant convulsion effectively.
- PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES: Pepper fruit can be used for pharmacological purposes due to its constituents of terpenes,tannins, flavonoids and alkaloids. The anti-microbial, anti-oxidizing,anti-inflammatory properties of both the fruits and leaves are known to exhibit high pharmacological effects.
- GLAUCOMA INTRAOCULAR EFFECTS (IOP) REDUCTION: Study shows that pepper fruit can significantly reduce intraocular pressure ( IOP) up to 25% in people suffering from glaucoma.
- SERVES AS A POST PARTUM TONIC: Pepper fruit is great for women after child birth because it serves as a post partum tonic. It is an excellent post partum tonic for nursing mothers as it contains an active compound which helps in stimulating uterus contraction, healing of the wounds sustained during child birth, as well as providing relief to the mum.
The importances of Dennettia Tripetala ( Pepper fruit) can not be over emphasized as it contains many health benefits. So get a Pepper fruit today.