Last Updated on
We must have come across the term ‘ Drug’; whether seen, heard or read. So in today’s piece, we will be discussing more about them. Walk with me!!!
Drugs are substances that cause a change in an organism’s physiology or psychology when consumed. They are typically distinguished from food and substances that provide nutritional support.
The noun ‘Drug’ originated from old French word ‘drogue’ possibly derived from ‘droge’ from middle Dutch, meaning ‘dry barrels’ referring to medicinal plants preserved as dry matter in barrels.
Medically and pharmaceutically, drugs are substances taken to cure or ameliorate any symptom or symptoms of an illnees or medical condition. There are two main classifications of drugs which include:
- Traditional drugs: These are drugs made out of herbs and leaves. They were mostly used in the pre historic times but today, few people still use them to cure ailments.
- Chemical drugs: This set of drugs are the drugs that are used in today’s era. They are used in the hospitals and pharmacies to cure ailments and sicknesses.
There are various classifications of chemical drugs but today, will be focusing on Psychoactive drugs and Recreational drugs.
- Psychoactive drugs: Psychoactive drugs are chemical substances that affect the function of the central nervous system altering perception, mood or consciousness. These drugs are divided into different groups like:
- Anti depressants
- Anti psychotics
These Psychoactive drugs have been proven useful in the treatment of wide range of medical conditions including mental disorders around the world. The most widely used Psychoactive drugs in the world include: Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.
- Recreational drugs: Recreational drugs are used( legally, controlled or illegal) with the primary intention of altering the state of consciousness through the alteration of the Central nervous system in order to create positive emotions and feelings.
However, some national laws prohibit the use of different recreational drugs and medicinal drugs that the potential for recreational use are often heavily regulated.
Cannabis is the most commonly consumed and controlled recreational drugs in the world. It can be used in the leaf form’ marijuana'( grass) or in the resin form (hashish).
Like Psychoactive drugs, some recreational drugs that are legal and accepted in many places include: alcohol, tobacco, better nut and caffeine products.
There are several ways by which drugs can be taken or administered and they include:
- By inhalation.
- By injection as a solution, suspension or emulsion.
- By smoking.
- By absorption through a patch under the skin.
- Insufflation, or smoked into the nose.
- Orally, as a liquid or solid that is absorbed through the intestines.
- Vaginally as a pessary, primarily to treat vaginal infections.
However, when these drugs are abused, the following are bound to happen:
- Psychological or physical addiction
- Loss of memory
- Poor health condition
- When consumed, drugs are bound to cause a change in an organism’s physiology or psychology.
- The usage of drugs can affect one’s body system positively and negatively.
- Certain drugs are not to be consumed in excess.
- Some countries prohibit the use of different recreational drugs.
Stay healthy, stay happy!!