Manchester City Dismiss Open Spending Allegations As UEFA Starts Probe
UEFA on Thursday announced they were opening an investigation into whether or not Manchester City broke Financial Fair Play rules, a breach that could lead to a devastating Champions League ban.
However, English champions City insisted the accusations against them are false and that they welcomed the opportunity to clear their name.
German magazine Der Spiegel, using material purportedly obtained from the whistleblowing outlet Football Leaks, alleged in November that City had set up sponsorship deals to circumvent regulations limiting how much money owners can put into a club.
“The Investigatory Chamber of the independent UEFA Club Financial Control Body has today opened a formal investigation into Manchester City FC for potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations,” said a UEFA statement on Thursday.
“The investigation will focus on several alleged violations of FFP that were recently made public in various media outlets.”
City responded immediately by saying they supported the investigation and that they had nothing to hide.
Club statement.https://t.co/nYV74N9mOH
— Manchester City (@ManCity) March 7, 2019
“Manchester City welcomes the opening of a formal UEFA investigation as an opportunity to bring to an end the speculation resulting from the illegal hacking and out of context publication of City emails,” the club said in a statement.
“The accusation of financial irregularities are entirely false. The club’s published accounts are full and complete and a matter of legal and regulatory record.”
City had earlier responded to Der Spiegel’s claims by saying there had been an “organised and clear” attempt to damage the club’s reputation.
A ban from UEFA competitions, including the Champions League, is a potential punishment if City are found guilty of FFP breaches.
City were fined 60 million euros ($67.3 million) and subjected to squad, wage and spending caps in a 2014 settlement agreed with UEFA following a previous breach of the rules.
City coach Pep Guardiola has always insisted that City would accept a ban but does not believe it is likely after discussions with the club’s UAE owners.
UEFA Club Financial Control Body opens investigation into Manchester City FC for alleged Financial Fair Play violations.
Read more 👇https://t.co/ZOI4ALEvbP
— UEFA (@UEFA) March 7, 2019

Chelsea miss out on Victor Osimhen to PSG
Nigeria to participate in 10 events at Tokyo Olympics.
David Barral becomes first-ever footballer to be bought with Bitcoin
Budweiser celebrates new football season with promo.
Neymar returns for PSG ahead of Champions League resumption.
Expect tough match against Sierra Leone- Gernot Rohr.
INNOPOWER AFRICA AND LUMA LEARN ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP TO DEMOCRATIZE AI ACCESS FOR STUDENTS, TEACHERS, AND FAMILIES ACROSS AFRICA
Chief Charles Orie Marks 60 in Grand Style, Caps Weeks of Philanthropy with Abuja Celebration
Album: Genius – Ice-V
Ice-V’s Genius Album goes live on 19th December