Gareth Southgate has no plans to leave the England job before Euro 2020 but admits his future is uncertain after that.
Southgate led England to their first World Cup semi-final appearance since 1990 during a memorable run in Russia last year.
That was a huge boost to his reputation and England’s progress to the inaugural Nations League Finals later this year is another feather in his cap.
The 48-year-old was linked with Manchester United before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s remarkable impact as interim boss effectively took him out of contention for the Old Trafford post.
But Southgate, whose contract runs until 2022, said he would not have walked out on the chance to manage England in a major tournament on home soil, with several matches in Euro 2020 being staged at Wembley.
“Well, first and foremost, I love the job I’m in,” Southgate said when asked about the link to United.
Southgate has not worked as a club boss since being sacked by Middlesbrough soon after their 2009 relegation from the Premier League.
"We qualified for a semi-final in the summer, so it would be strange to make huge changes to that squad"https://t.co/aV0ce0s7hp
— England (@England) March 13, 2019
Aware of the unpredictability of management, former England, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough defender does not have a clear plan for his next move yet.
“I’ve never quite understood in this game, people who have a coaching plan or a plan of where they want to go because I didn’t expect to be the manager of Middlesbrough two days before I got offered it,” he added.
“I didn’t expect to be England senior manager six hours before I was offered it.”

